I’ve received numerous calls from folks living in condos in Charleston that call and want help improving their wireless reception. Here are a few free ways you can dramatically improve the wireless reception in your home or office.
- Point the antenna(s) of your device up to the ceiling.
- Avoid placing your device between you and large mirrors, thick walls or thick cielings or large metal objects like filing cabinets, fridge, washer/dryer, etc. Keep device away from certain electric or electronic devices like TV’s, ceiling fans, microwaves, cordless phones, baby monitors, home automation equipment like X10.
- Keep it central – place wireless device in the most central part of your home or office as possible.
- Elevate! Place wifi device as high as possible, atop book shelves, etc.
- Change the channel! In the US, there are 11 wi-fi channels to choose from; consider the advice below to pick the best (least used or not used) channel in your environment.
A little analysis can help you determine the best wi-fi channel for your environment; ideally you want a channel that’s not being used by anyone in your surroundings. Open up a web-browser and try the Meraki stumbler ; or install and run these apps: inssider for Windows, iStumbler on Macs, Wifi Analyzer for Android, etc. These apps allow you to see the “free” non-used channels in your environment. Choose a channel not in use by everyone surrounding you for best performance.
Call Delson Computer at 843.276.6551 if you need further assistance. We have lots of experience providing computer and network help to individuals and businesses in the greater Charleston area.